Monday, June 11, 2007

Boost magic, or caliper carrier strikes again...

So exaust pipe fixed, transmission mount fixed, boost hoses reinforced with high strength clamps, caliper aligned. OK, sounds like time to test chipped ECU!

First run few km's testing the car, listening to the noises, warming the engine. Everything runs perfect, no cars on the street (it's Sunday early morning in the industrial district of my hometown). Time to boost a little and bed in brakes. After third stop, same noise which I've heard on the race track - tatatatatata from the right front wheel. Cooled brakes a bit - noise stopped. Good sign.

Now it's time for the chips :). I have put MTM stage I chip to the ECU. Car on the third, rolling around 60km/h, full throttle - here it goes lovely ~1.3 bar. That's neat. Good acceleration, followed by nice bang from exaust when switching gears. I like this car. Tried to do standing start - 1st, 2nd - full boost, and "PAF!!!", boost hose gave it. Short field repairs (I was carrying half of my garage (tools and spares) in the boot :D), and it runs again. Tried to accel to fourth, that is quite fast. And heavy braking after that. Was impressed how the car brakes, but the noise from the caliper said - it's enough for today! Brake pad metal part was cutting around 2mm deep into the wheel. I could feel it on the car rolling. I definately need new caliper carriers :(.
Also ordered silicone reducing diameter elbows to eliminate changing diameter sections in the intake, because those are weak parts in my intake design (all blown hoses blew in those parts).

No comments: