Saturday, July 7, 2007

Video lab, or on board cam installation and testing

Brought all video related stuff to the garage. Put it in the car, and realized, that I have nothing to make preview what I will record. I mean DVR has no screen, so I can see what I am recording only at home, using PC. That's bad. Checked local web pages, and found ideal thing for me - B&W auto TV, which has sound defect (I don't need sound preview, because you cannot mount mic upside down :)). Picked it dirty cheap (~10eur), and suprisingly it works. It also runs from car battery, and you can look at it whilst driving. Good. Now I'm ready.

Connected camera to the tv, and started to search for the place for it. First I was thinking to mount it to the metal headrest part of the passengers seat, but it appeared too low position to see what's happening outside the car. So I've took two cable ties and tried to fix camera on soft headrest part. Perfect. One more possible position was rear passenger's "oh-shit" handle, however, it requires some sophisticated 3d adjustable mount to work good. That's why cable ties won:Microphone (that temporary fixing was replaced later by cable tie :)):

Havent' done DVR and all cables mounting and fixing to something, so everything lied as a mess:

Note black box - that's my microphone amplifier. Final overview of the "on board video system":

Here is result from it:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2799531820604317264

No comments: